Before you donate please make sure that the request is genuine by getting in touch with the
institution/doctor mentioned by the requesting person & that you donate in institution only (like a
hospital, recoganised blood bank) so that your donation is not being misused or sold.
In case you find any such fake blood seekers/ malpractioners, please report back to the site, so that we can alert the rest of our users.
Essential Pre-Requisites before Blood Donation
BP -b/w 110/60 - 140/90
Hb - >/=12.5 mg/dl.
Height & Weight : > 45 kg (women)
> 55kg in men (the weight & height criteria may vary from institution to institution)
Pulse – 80-100 bpm regular.
- if suffering from minor illnesses like cold flu, viral infection DONOT donate unless the infection resolves
- Avoid donation if treated with antibiotics, for at least 3 days after the treatment is over
- Asthmatics, should Avoid donation of blood till Acute attack comes back to normal.
- Avoid blood donation for the next 1 year after receiving blood transfusion
- After dental surgery Avoid blood donation for a day after fillings or cleaning, and 3 days in case of root canal or removal of tooth.
- After body piercing or got a tattooing ,Avoid for at least a year.
- After drug abuse of any sort, Avoid blood donation for at least a year.
- After alcohol consumption, Avoid it for 12 hours.
- After normal pregnancy , Avoid donating for 6 weeks after delivery.
- After miscarriage or undergone abortion in 1st/2nd trimester, Avoid donation till complete recovery.
- After miscarriage or undergone abortion in 3rd trimester , Avoid blood donation for the next 6 weeks.
- After malaria , Avoid donation for 3 years after complete recovery.
- After Tuberculosis , Avoid till 2 years after complete recovery.
- After open heart surgery, Avoid till 3 years after the surgery.
- After physical relation with a prostitute, Avoid blood donation for at least a year.
- After any surgery or a serious injury, Avoid blood donation till complete recovery.
- Anemics, Avoid blood donation till complete recovery.
- After ailments like measles, mumps, chicken pox, Avoid blood donation till three weeks after its occurrence.
DO NOT EVER DONATE Blood If:
* positive for HIV/AIDS infection.
* suffered from hepatitis after the age of 11 years or is Hepatitis B +ve
* consumed drugs intravenousLy, even once.
* suffering, or has suffered, from cancer.
* suffering from any blood clotting disorder, such as hemophilia, Sickle Cell disease, Thalessemia.
* suffering from any lung or liver disorder.
* has indulged in safe/unsafe physical relationship with a man, even once.
* involved in prostitution.
A person is prohibited from blood donation for a lifetime if he is suffering, or has suffered, from any of the following diseases:
* HTVL (Human T - lymphotorpic virus)
* Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD) – even if a family member has been detected with this disease.
* Multiple sclerosis
* Chagas disease
How frequently can u Donate?
After whole blood donation - after 3 months.
After Platelets – after 7 days.
After plasma – after 28 days.
(Users are advised to update their donation status accordingly)
Donating blood when you have been certified fit by a blood bank to donate leads to no weakness or side effects.